Stanford Health Care Lead Data Architect in Palo Alto, California
Lead Data Architect
The Lead Data Architect manages projects that support improvement efforts, generally within a defined value stream or strategic domain. This includes developing complex data architecture and solutions to sustain improvement efforts and provide ongoing support for existing applications.
The job duties listed are typical examples of work performed by positions in this job classification and are not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Specific duties and responsibilities may vary depending on department or program needs without changing the general nature and scope of the job or level of responsibility. Employees may also perform other duties as assigned.
Employees must abide by all Joint Commission requirements including, but not limited to, sensitivity to cultural diversity, patient care, patients’ rights and ethical treatment, safety and security of physical environments, emergency management, teamwork, respect for others, participation in ongoing education and training, communication and adherence to safety and quality programs, sustaining compliance with National Patient Safety Goals, and licensure and health screenings.
1) Builds partnerships with cross discipline team members, including hospital staff, new users, line management, on/offshore team members, etc.
2) Creates and guides user leadership in formulation of project plan, regular status reporting to IT and user management, issue management and escalation
3) Develops business cases for new technology solutions. Confidently and professionally presents and defends recommended solution, approach, timeline, etc. to IT and user leadership and manages expectations accordingly
4) Organizes and conducts regular project status meetings and design reviews sessions leveraging appropriate project artifacts
5) Performs analysis of the scope and requirements for projects
6) Acts independently with limited direction in leading projects and engaging senior management, including Service Line Leaders, Department Chairs, Executive Directors and above
7) Leverages knowledge of business and clinical processes and understanding of organizational trends to plan strategically both long-term and short-term activities and deliverables and defines innovative solutions that drive measurable benefits to the organization
8) Provides guidance and training to less experienced data architects
9) Develops/Presents publications, informational sessions, etc. on solutions and results to approved internal/external parties
10) Prepares specifications, designs, data models and diagrams from which databases can be developed
11) Develops, tests, and deploys data structures using Entity Relationship Diagramming, SQL Server tools, and data modeling tools
12) Designs, builds and tunes complex solutions
13) Monitors system performance and recommends and develops means for improvement
14) Participates in teams to define design and development standards
15) Troubleshoots incidents surrounding supported databases and solutions
16) Tunes performance of complex databases, ETL processes and queries
Equal Opportunity Employer Stanford Health Care (SHC) strongly values diversity and is committed to equal opportunity and non-discrimination in all of its policies and practices, including the area of employment. Accordingly, SHC does not discriminate against any person on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation or gender identity and/or expression, religion, age, national or ethnic origin, political beliefs, marital status, medical condition, genetic information, veteran status, or disability, or the perception of any of the above. People of all genders, members of all racial and ethnic groups, people with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply. Qualified applicants with criminal convictions will be considered after an individualized assessment of the conviction and the job requirements.
Education: BS/BA degree in Information Technology, Information Systems, Business Management, Business Analytics, Business Administration or a directly-related field from an accredited college or university
Experience: Three (3) or more years of experience in analytics, business intelligence or healthcare technology.
License/Certification: Epic Clarity Data Model certification required, or must complete within 6 months of hire, plus 1 additional certification or equivalent experience
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
These are the observable and measurable attributes and skills required to perform successfully the essential functions of the job and are generally demonstrated through qualifying experience, education, or licensure/certification.
Delivers high quality Reporting & Analytics solutions that meet user requirements with minimal on-going maintenance and a low volume of production incidents (production failures, help desk calls, etc.).
Proficient with, and contributes to, best practices and common processes for developing solutions with SHC tools (i.e., SSIS, Crystal Reports, WebI, Qlikview, etc.) utilized in role.
Troubleshoots and performs root cause analysis of incidents and establishes countermeasures to improve supported applications.
4+ years’ experience with SQL in an Oracle and/or SQL Server environment. Proficient with complex SQL (multi joins, subqueries, unions) and creation of database objects (tables, views, materialized views, etc.). Ability to utilize performance tuning utilities (Explain Plans, etc.) to optimize queries.
Deep experience and expertise with Data Warehousing and ETL concepts, including: source to target mapping, transformations, error handling, job control, logging, alerting, and scheduling.
Demonstrated proficiency in Data Definition Language (DDL) , Data Manipulation Language (DML), and Extraction, Transformation and Loading (ETL) design and development using SQL Server tools (SQL Management Studio, T-SQL, SSIS, Team Foundation, etc.) and/or Epic Clarity Compass to develop complex solutions.
Complex Report writing & proficient in metadata (universe) creation. Test, develops, shares innovative practices of BI/Reporting tools and participates in evaluating/implementing new products or upgrades of existing products.
Able to work without direct supervision based on general direction provided by a superior, is able to give guidance to peers on complex issues and makes recommendations to supervisors on best path forward. Provides regular updates to supervisor on pending tasks, pain points, and potential roadblocks and manages user expectations accordingly.
Partnership interaction up to Tier 4 levels of the organization.
Demonstrated ability for completing multiple complex projects.
Contributing team member with best practices developed.
Helps fulfill SHC's vision. Understands how their work supports the vision and proposes better ways to achieve the vision. Can articulate these ideas in a manner that builds consensus and influences decision making up to the Director level.
Has mastered multiple domains and understands how the domains interrelate. Has some cross-functional knowledge and skill outside of formal position.
During the request process, the LEAD DATA ARCHITECT can anticipate issues with the request and negotiate a viable alternative before the report writing process begins. The LEAD DATA ARCHITECT is constantly looking at the "big picture" and develops reports that solve multiple problems, where possible, and anticipates other uses for the report requested.
Successfully implement role based standard work and develop the ability to identify exceptions.
Work is excellent with only rare problems or defects with complex solutions.
Solutions are recognized in industry publications or events for their quality and innovation.
Utilizes active daily management and is an expert with Lean methods.
Makes reliable operational internal decision independently and reliable tactical external decisions independently
Can successfully present complex ideas and information to a variety of audiences up to the Director level, and industry groups. Strong verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills.